MAKE A SHORT FILM IN ONLY 2 DAYS!
From writing, shooting, editing to delivery in only 48 fast and furious hours! What's this madness you ask? Well, it's the LOST WEEKEND 48H FILM CHALLENGE of course!
Brought to you by the FILMREAKTER filmmakers' association and the LUXFILMFEST, with the support of the OEUVRE NATIONALE DE SECOURS GRAND-DUCHESSE CHARLOTTE.
HOW, WHERE & WHEN
1. Create a team from among your friends - or find one to join in our forum.
2. Register your team here on our webpage, starting on JANUARY 30th when registrations open. Don't wait too long though, capacities are limited! Participation is free!
3. On Friday, March 5th at 19h we all meet up at the LOST WEEKEND headquarters in Luxembourg City at Cercle Cité for our kick-off event. When the clock strikes eight we will announce this edition's theme, a line of dialogue and a prop that each must feature in your film. Then each team ceremoniously draws a piece of paper out of a hat, allocating a different film genre to each team - and off you go!
4. You write, shoot, edit your film between Friday and Sunday. You can shoot in any language you want (we suggest to use the one you and your actors are most comfortable in). Please make sure the final film is no shorter than 3 and no longer than 5 minutes!
5. You deliver your film in person back to our headquarters at no later than 20h Sunday evening.
Important information: handing in your film too late on Sunday will result in your film being disqualified from the competition, but we will still screen it.
6. You relax for the next two days and feel good about yourself, while we subtitle all films where needed.
7. On Tuesday, March 9th, 19h we meet again at UTOPIA 2 for a screening of all your films as part of the Luxembourg City Film Festival, followed by an awards ceremony where you will have the chance to win several awards, chief among them the highly coveted COFFEE POT JURY AWARD, consisting this year of a deluxe Super8 package including a vintage camera, 10 rolls of film, plus development and digital transfer - for a total value of 1200 Euro!
NEW THIS YEAR: we have added several new awards! Besides the COFFEE POT JURY AWARD and the AUDIENCE AWARD, there is going to be the STELLA! BEST ACTING AWARD, the GEORGINA BEST DIALOGUE AWARD for best use of the mandatory line of dialogue, the CHEESEGRATER PROP AWARD for best use of the mandatory prop, as well as BEST EDITING, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY and BEST CONCEPT awards.
IMPORTANT NOTICE :
The LuxFilmFest is this year preparing for a festival experience adapted to the covid restrictions in place in March. At this point no one can tell yet what the exact restrictions will be, so the festival will either be screened theatrically, streamed digitally - or both. The same applies of course to our screening.
As to the filmmaking during the weekend, all participants of the 48 Hour Challenge are required to follow the sanitary measures in place during the event. We will keep you up to date on the latest restrictions, but do rest assured that the event will take place no matter what.
We say: embrace the limitations - this is a good year to get creative!
WHO IS THIS FOR?
The LOST WEEKEND 48h film challenge is specifically aimed at everyone from beginning filmmakers with no prior experience, to seasoned pros. Beginners will find it a great learning experience, pros might find it a welcome way to loosen things up a bit again. This is an opportunity to experiment and to have fun - best of all: no one is going to judge you for making mistakes! The only mistake in a 48h film challenge is to waste precious time, so don't worry and don't fret - just get it done!
We encourage people of all ages to join, children included, but for the kick-off event and the delivery, minors under the age of 14 need to be accompanied by a parent.
If you want to join or create a team, but none of your friends are interested, make yourself known in our forum. You might come out of this not only with a new film to your name but also a group of brand-new like-minded friends!
Who’s the jury, you ask? Wise representatives of the art and cinema world of Luxembourg - names to be announced in February!
And us? Well, LOST WEEKEND is brought to you by the FILMREAKTER filmmakers network, an association founded back in 2002 by a group of high school students, now all working in the film industry.
This project is a collaboration with our friends of the Luxembourg City Film Festival and has been made possible with the support of the Oeuvre Nationale de Secours Grande-Duchesse Charlotte.
WHAT IS THIS GOOD FOR?
For experienced filmmakers making movies can quickly become a rather serious affair. There are all kinds of pressures - creative, financial and otherwise - that can take away from the joy of being creative and the willingness to experiment. Here’s an opportunity to just have fun again. Filmmaking doesn't need to take months of your time - or cost you a fortune. It can be quick, cheap and fun!
Also, we are strong believers in the democratic nature of filmmaking. You don’t need a diploma to make a film, to act, or to make film music. It’s a craft that is best learned by doing. So if you’ve never done it before, here’s a chance to try it out.
Finally, there’s something to be said about stress, not sleeping enough, drinking too much coffee, constant adrenaline… As far as we're concerned, there's no better way to spend a weekend!