MAKE A SHORT FILM IN ONLY 2 DAYS!
From writing, shooting, editing to delivery in only 48 fast and furious hours!
Brought to you by the FILMREAKTER filmmakers' association and LUXFILMFEST, with the support of the OEUVRE NATIONALE DE SECOURS GRAND-DUCHESSE CHARLOTTE.
HOW, WHERE & WHEN
1. Create a team from among your friends, schoolmates, work colleagues, strangers on the street - whatever it takes!
You may also want to use our online forum to help find team members.
2. Register your team here on our webpage, starting on JANUARY 28th, 09h00 when registrations open. Don't wait too long though, capacities are limited! Participation is free!
3. On Friday, MARCH 3rd at 19h we all meet up at the CERCLE CITE in Luxembourg City for our kick-off event. You will receive the address by email if your team registered in time. When the clock strikes eight we will announce this edition's theme, a line of dialogue and a prop that must feature in each film. Then each team ceremoniously draws a piece of paper out of a hat, allocating a different film genre to each team - and off you go!
4. You write, shoot, edit your film between Friday and Sunday. You can shoot in any language you want (we suggest to use the one you and your actors are most comfortable in). If your film is not in English you will be asked to provide a text transcript in your language or - better yet - an English translation, for subtitling. Please make sure the final film is no shorter than 3 and no longer than 5 minutes!
5. You deliver your film back to us in person and no later than 20h Sunday evening. The location will also be given to you by email and mentioned at the kick-off event.
Important information: handing in your film too late on Sunday will result in your film being disqualified from the three main coffeepot awards.
6. You relax for the next three days and feel good about yourself, while we subtitle all films where needed.
7. On Wednesday, MARCH 8th, 21h we meet again at the CINEMATHEQUE for a screening of all your films as part of the Luxembourg City Film Festival, followed by an awards ceremony where you will have the chance to win several awards, chief among them the highly coveted COFFEE POT JURY AWARD!
OTHER AWARDS: AUDIENCE AWARD, STELLA! BEST ACTING AWARD, GEORGINA BEST DIALOGUE AWARD for best use of the mandatory line of dialogue, the CHEESEGRATER PROP AWARD for best use of the mandatory prop, BEST EDITING, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY and BEST CONCEPT awards.
8. On Friday we party! Stay tuned for more details on this later.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
The LOST WEEKEND 48h film challenge is specifically aimed at everyone, from beginning filmmakers with no prior experience to seasoned pros. Beginners will find it a great learning experience, pros might find it a welcome way to loosen things up a bit again. This is an opportunity to experiment and to have fun - best of all: no one is going to judge you for making mistakes! The only mistake in a 48h film challenge is to waste precious time, so don't worry and don't fret - just get it done!
We encourage people of all ages to join - it's never too early or too late to get into filmmaking!
If you want to join, but none of your friends are interested, make yourself known in our forum. You might come out of this not only with a new film to your name but also a group of brand-new like-minded friends!
WHAT IS THIS GOOD FOR?
For experienced filmmakers, making movies can quickly become a rather serious affair. There are all kinds of pressures - creative, financial and otherwise - that can take away from the joy of being creative and the willingness to experiment. Here’s an opportunity to just have fun again. Filmmaking doesn't need to take months of your time - or cost you a fortune. It can be quick, cheap and fun!
Also, we are strong believers in the democratic nature of filmmaking. You don’t need a diploma to make a film, to act, or to make film music. It’s a craft that is best learned by doing. So if you’ve never done it before, here’s a chance to try it out.
Finally, there’s something to be said about stress, not sleeping enough, drinking too much coffee, constant adrenaline… As far as we're concerned, there's no better way to spend a weekend!